We all have amulets, those special objects often hidden away in drawers and cupboards which mark a significant time, occasion or person in our lives. Particular to infant loss, this poetic artwork links photographs of family amulets together with bereaved parent’s whispered stories describing their amulet’s meaning. This potent exhibition draws the viewer into a special world of quiet reflection. The artwork is compelling, visually beautiful and inventively takes you to a place of intrigue and surprise. Intimate and universally relatable, you’ll feel and think differently about loss after seeing this show.
This touring exhibition is on show at the following venues during 2014-2015:
- Galway Arts Centre: 1 – 29 August 2014
- University Maternity Hospital Limerick: 25 – 26 September 2014
- The Atrium Cork City Hall: 13 October – 28 November 2014
- Cork Library Bishopstown: 14 – 24 October 2014
- Cork Museum: 4 November – 3 January 2015
- The LAB Gallery, Dublin: 15 January – 28 March 2015
- Launch and discussion event at Árus Na Gael, Galway on 1 August at 4pm
- Panel discussion event at University Maternity Hospital Limerick on 25 September at 6pm
- Panel discussion event at The Atrium, Cork City Hall on 15 October at 6pm
- Exhibition launch at The LAB, Dublin on 15 January
A bereaved parent who collaborated with the artist speaking of the 2013 exhibition said:“The exhibition had a hushed quiet presence. Something you‘d take your time with. It was so well thought through. It really asks a lot of you. I really felt a connection, felt part of something.”
The Amulet exhibition tour is funded through The Arts Council Touring and Dissemination of Work Award 2014.
For further information please contact Marie Brett at www.mariebrett.ie or www.amulets.ie (live from July 2014)
Also on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/AmuletProject