The Waterford Healing Arts Trust (WHAT) is inviting expressions of interest from soloists and established music ensembles to join a panel of musicians for our Healing Sounds programme from December 2012 for one year. Musicians on the panel will be asked to complete an induction before the new panel commences and will be scheduled to perform in Waterford Regional Hospital up to fours times throughout the year.
Closing date for submissions 6th November 2012 at 2.00pm
WHAT has been bringing live music performances to the bedside of patients in Waterford Regional Hospital since 2000 through its monthly Healing Sounds programme. Healing Sounds aims to enhance the hospital environment for the benefit of patients, staff and visitors and to reduce anxiety and stress for all through a programme of quality live music performances. It promotes a range of musicians and musical styles and, where appropriate, encourages patients and staff to engage with the performing musicians. It is not a music therapy programme. Nor is it a participatory music programme. It is a performance opportunity whereby the musicians are asked to adapt to the hospital environment and the transitionary audiences therein.
The Healing Sounds performances take place on a monthly basis in Waterford Regional Hospital (WRH), on Monday afternoons, from 1.30pm to 4.30pm, and comprise three 30 minute performances. The first performance is in the foyer and the remaining two performances are in wards and/or outpatients clinics including the Department of Psychiatry acute ward.
For further information, see www.waterfordhealingarts.com. For further information on arts and health activity in Ireland, see www.artsandhealth.ie
Call for Expressions of Interest
Musicians are requested to submit by hard copy only:
- A current musical Curriculum Vitae for soloists and music ensembles.
- Expression of interest (max 250 words) in which musicians state their motivation for performing in an acute hospital setting.
- Names and full contact details of two relevant referees
The criteria for selection are:
- Quality of music performance
- Preference will be giving to musicians resident in the South East (to includeWaterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow and Tipperary South)
- Completion of Music Networks’ Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme (desirable, but not essential).
- A diversity of musical styles within the panel
- Appropriate repertoire that considers the acute hospital environment, the changing audiences and the challenges of performing in a range of different spaces within the hospital.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including patient-centered approaches to performance
- An understanding of the ethos of the Healing Sounds programme
- The musician(s)’ commitment to developing their practice within the context of music and health.
Short-listed applicants will be invited to meet WHAT representatives for an informal interview on 13th November 2012. Musicians will be asked to perform a one short piece of music from memory and to approach the panel as if they are hospital audience members. Basis travel expenses will be paid to all soloists and groups attending auditions by Waterford Healing Arts Trust
Roles and responsibilities
The Waterford Healing Arts Trust will offer free rehearsal space upon request and will pay musicians the following honouraria inclusive of all expenses:
- €100 per performance for a single musician
- €150 per performance for two musicians
- €200 per performance for three or more musicians
The Waterford Healing Arts Trust will compile the performance itinerary, brief the musicians on Infection Control, Security, Health & Safety, Ethical and Child Protection issues and debrief the musicians after each performance. Musicians selected for the Healing Sounds panel will be required to attend a half day induction on the 26 November 2012. Basic travel costs will be reimbursed and a light lunch will be provided.
The selected musicians are asked to:
- Be responsive to the hospital settings.
- Comply with all Health & Safety, Infection Control, Ethical and Child Protection standards
- Complete and submit a report based on their experience of performing in Waterford Regional hospital for the Waterford Healing Arts Trust after their final Healing Sounds performance
Please send your Expression of Interest to:
WaterfordHealing Arts Trust,
By 5 November 2012 at 2.00pm
For queries please contact WHAT on 051 842664 or email email@example.com (Monday –Wednesday)