CALM (Ceol Agus Lán Maitheas), with the support of Meath County Council Arts Office, is offering a 3 day intensive training workshop for musicians in Music and Health with an emphasis on geriatric care. The training will take place between Tuesday 12 and Thursday 14 November 2013 at the Ardboyne Hotel, Navan, Co. Meath.
The training programme aims:
- To enable musicians to understand the place of music, and of the musician, in the highly sensitive settings of hospital and healing environments.
- To raise awareness within the local community and healthcare sector about the value and place of music and health as a way of enhancing the wellbeing of individuals
Contents will include:
- Exploration & discussion of methods and approaches to music making in hospital
- Exercises and role playing
- Finding and using appropriate repertoire
- Partnering with health institutions and staff
- Video analysis
- Supervised musical visit to a Care Home
Trainers Gráinne Hope and Liam Merriman have extensive experience in Ireland and Europe as hospital musicians. They both qualified as trainers of musicians to work in healthcare settings under the European Commission’s Leonardo da Vinci programme, led by Musique et Santé (France) in association with Music Network (Ireland), The Royal Northern College of Music (U.K.) and Turku University of Applied Sciences (Finland).
Cost: With the financial support of Meath County Council Arts Office, we are able to offer the full 3 day course including a musical visit to a health setting, at the subsidised price of €249 Euro per musician.
Selection of trainees: As places are limited, interested musicians should apply in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A short paragraph (250 words max.) should be included setting out why you wish to participate in the training. Please also append a CV/Artist biography in support of your application.
Closing date for applications is 30 September 2013. Successful applicants will be notified by email in due course.
Training Venue: Ardboyne Hotel, Navan and a local healthcare setting.