WHAT is inviting applications from suitably qualified people to join a panel of musicians to perform for and with patients of University Hospital Waterford as part of its Healing Sounds programme from April 2015 for one year. The successful applicants will be mentored in bringing live music to the bedside of patients by musician Liam Merriman who qualified as a trainer of hospital musicians with Musique et Sante, Paris and who has vast experience of working within the music and health context.
Healing Sounds in the wards
WHAT, based in the WHAT Centre for Arts and Health at University Hospital Waterford, is one of Ireland’s leading hospital arts programmes. In 2000, it established the Healing Sounds programme with the aim of reducing stress and anxiety for patients, staff and visitors of UHW through live music. The programme promotes a range of musicians and musical styles and, where appropriate, encourages patients and staff to engage with the performing musicians. In 2014, WHAT introduced mentoring for musicians.
Healing Sounds is not a music therapy programme. Nor is it a participatory music programme. It is a performance programme whereby the musicians are asked to adapt to the hospital environment and respond to patients’ needs. This programme is funded by the Arts Council.
The successful applicants will have the following:
• Musical competence and performance experience including an ability / willingness to use voice
• Excellent interpersonal skills including patient-centred approaches to performance
• Commitment to developing their practice within the context of music and health
• An understanding of the ethos of the Healing Sounds programme
How to apply
Interested musicians are requested to submit by written application only:
• A current Curriculum Vitae / biography
• Statement of interest (max 200 words) in which musicians state their motivation and suitability for performing in an acute hospital
• Names and full contact details of two relevant referees
Applications should be submitted to the Music Co-ordinator, WHAT, University Hospital Waterford, Dunmore Road, Waterford or emailed to WHAT@hse.ie no later than Friday 13 March by 4.00pm. Please put ‘Healing Sounds application’ in the subject line of the email.
Short listed applicants are invited to attend a workshop in the WHAT Centre for Arts and Health on Wednesday 25 of March 2015 starting at 2.00pm at which a selection will be made.
Click here for further information.
For further information on WHAT, see www.waterfordhealingarts.com
Contact 051 842664 or email WHAT@hse.ie if you have specific queries.