Tallaght Hospital invites expressions of interest from artists for a new commission at the paediatric emergency department. The aim for the commission is to provide age-appropriate art work and design solutions which will enhance the hospital environment for children, families and staff. The closing date for applications is 2 December 2015.
The commissioned artist will be asked to create a child-friendly theme throughout the paediatric emergency department (ED) at Tallaght Hospital. This includes the following areas:
- Entrance corridor from hospital to paediatric emergency department
- Reception area
- Waiting area
- Two separate ED units – a four-cubicle area and one six-bed bay
- Short stay area (eight bays)
The aim is for the art and design solution to offer children a welcoming, positive environment, with opportunities for distraction during stressful procedures. The clinical team have some ideas but are open to artists’ suggestions. We aim for a child-friendly theme that will run through the various areas of the department.
The artist selected will need to:
- Work collaboratively with the team to decide suitable artistic solutions
- Complete the whole project within a budget of €5000
- Complete the full project between January – April 2016
- Work flexibly as a member of the team and when on site (Due to the unpredictable nature of ED available times for on-site work might be affected).
- Complete the work on time and within budget
- Work well with a diverse team.
Art and design solutions that can be de-installed and moved will be preferable.
This commission offers the artist a high-profile art commission, with large audiences and positioning in a major children’s hospital in Ireland.
Please note the selected artist may also have a further opportunity to work on a small additional design project in another area of the hospital.
Interested artists should submit:
- A brief biography (max two A4 pages) outlining previous relevant experience and why you feel you are suitable for the commission
- Three examples of previous relevant work
Deadline for applications is Wednesday 2 December at 5pm.
Following receipt of applications a hospital team will shortlist artists. At this point, one artist might be selected. Alternatively a shortlist of three artists might be asked to deliver a sample response to the brief as a second stage of the commissioning process.
All artists submitting work will be kept on file for consideration for future projects.
A tax clearance must be submitted with invoices to claim payments.
All offers are subject to receipt of references and Garda clearance.